Vacancy No. 109/22 Assistant Court Officer, Magistrate’s Court Suva (Criminal Division – 1 Post
Application number: 109/22
Application closes: 28/10/2022
Role: Assistant Court Officer
Level: JD 05
Salary Range: $19,005 – $22,114
Location: Suva (Criminal Division)
Unit/ Division: Magistrates Court
- Reports to: The Senior Court Officer/ Court Officer
- Liaises with: Court Support Staff, Judicial Officers
- Subordinates: None
This position is responsible to the Senior Court Officer through the Court Officer for reviewing, checking and issuing of court documents.
- Counter Service for the public and Legal clients;
- Receiving, checking and issuing Court process, legal documents and complaints;
- Preparation of new files as directed by the Officer-In-Charge;
- Updating and maintaining Court records and Case register;
- Attending court hearings for interpretation and clerical duties;
- Cases for hearing, notification to parties concerned and updating of the Court dairies;
- Ensuring proper conduct of Court sessions and assisting Judicial Officers in all aspects as required;
- To provide information and assistance whenever required;
- Any other duties assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Qualification of a pass in Fiji Seven Form Examination or equivalent and must have a minimum of 50 marks in English OR a pass in Form Six examination with at least 1 -2 years work experience in interpretation duties. A pass in Departmental Examination X1 and Service Examination H1 or H would be an added advantage. The following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are also required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
- Candidate to be fluent in Hindi/ English translation;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of legislative requirements of the Constitution, Acts, Department Policies, Court Rules, Procedures and Processes;
- Knowledge of Court etiquette and legal terms;
- At least 1-2 years work experience in interpretation duties or in similar work environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication and interpretation skills with the ability to interpret and translate effectively in an open Court with Hindi language and vice versa;
- Good public relations and customer service skills;
- Demonstrated ability of updating and maintaining case files and case register;
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and work cooperatively within a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information in relation to Court proceedings and records;
- Capacity to utilize computer programs to support the operations of the Court registry.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the position must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 28th October 2022 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND THE JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE ANY APPOINTMENT.