Vacancy No. 118/22 Secretary – Magistrate’s Court Rakiraki – 1 Post
Application number: 118/22
Application closes: 11/11/2022
Level: SS 04
Salary range: $22,114 – $27,546
Unit/Division: Magistrate’s Court
- Reports to: Court Officer
- Liaises with: Judicial Officer, Court Support Staff
- Subordinates: Nil
The position is responsible to the Resident Magistrates for general secretarial duties. Assisting with the preparations and facilitations of documentation and travelling arrangement: accommodation bookings and per diem on meeting to venues locally in areas away from the office or overseas meeting; maintaining a work office environment and see to that the office supplies in terms of stationeries and equipment are properly maintained.
- Maintaining daily schedules and diaries for the Resident Magistrates;
- Efficient and timely typing of court proceedings, judgements and other correspondences, answering telephone, filing and arranging meetings;
- Maintaining and updating inward and outward register for the Resident Magistrates;
- Accurate transcription of any court proceedings/recordings (civil, criminal/traffic/family cases etc)
- Preparation and compilation of copy record for appeal purpose and transfer;
- Maintaining a database and register of files for writing decisions by the Resident Magistrates;
- Liaising with Accounts Division for financial requirements of the Resident Magistrates.
A Diploma in Secretarial Studies/Office Administration or equivalent from a recognized institution with 60wpm typing speed on manual typewriter or 70wpm typing on electronic/electric typewriter with 3 years’ work experience OR a Certificate in Secretarial Studies/Office Administration or equivalent with 5 years’ work experience. Shorthand skill is an added advantage. The following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are also required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
- Practical and working knowledge of word processing and filing system;
- Understanding of the Fijian Constitution and applicable laws of Fiji, Acts, Policies, Rules and Regulations;
- Understanding of legal proceedings and legal terns;
- At least 3-5years experience in Secretarial work environment.
Skills and Abilities
The applicant should have demonstrated the following skills and abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to follow directives and maintain high standards of professionalism;
- Ability to utilize advanced computer programs;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information and maintain proper filing system.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the position must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 11th November 2022 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND THE JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE ANY APPOINTMENT.