Vacancy No. 12/23 Assistant Court Officer, Maintenance Section Suva – 1 Post
Application number: 12/23
Application closes: 20/01/2023
Role: Assistant Court Officer
Level: JD 05
Salary Range: $19,005 – $22,114
Unit/ Division: Family Court, Maintenance Section, Suva
- Reports to: The Senior Court Officer I/ Court Officer
- Liaises with: Court Support Staff
- Subordinates: None
This position is responsible to the Senior Court Officer I through the Court Officer for reviewing, checking and issuing of court documents.
- Dealing with a range of Family Law matters, including but not limited to the dissolution of marriage, child and spousal maintenance, property disputes and issues relation to children;
- Liaising with stakeholders on matters of the Courts on behalf of the Supervisor;
- Assisting the Supervisor in the compilation of monthly statistics;
- Conduct court interpretations and ensuring efficient customer service, processing of legal documents, formulating, generating, checking, registration sealing, issuing of case documents and date scheduling of fresh cases;
- Candidates may be given revenue collection duties if required;
- Ensuring that proper and correct interpretation in court from English to Fijian/Hindi and vice versa, whenever required;
- To provide information and assistance whenever required;
- Any other duties assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Qualification of a pass in Fiji Seven Form Examination or equivalent and must have a minimum of 50 marks in English OR a pass in Form Six examination with at least 1 -2 years work experience in interpretation duties. A pass in Departmental Examination X1 and Service Examination H1 or H would be an added advantage. The following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are also required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
- Sound knowledge and understanding of legislative requirements of the Constitution, relevant Acts, Policies, Court Rules, Procedures and Processes;
- Knowledge of Court etiquette and legal terms;
- At least 1-2 years work experience in interpretation duties or in similar work environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Good communication and interpretation skills with the ability to interpret and translate effectively in an open Court with either Hindi/ I-Taukei language and vice versa;
- Good public relations and customer service skills and the ability to work as a team;
- Demonstrated ability of updating and maintaining case files and case register;
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and meet set deadlines in the execution of court orders and directives;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information;
- Capacity to utilize computer programs to support the operations of the Court registry.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the position must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 20th January 2023 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND THE JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE ANY APPOINTMENT.