Vacancy No. 122/22 Deputy Registrar, Family Court, Labasa – 1 Post
Application number: 122/22
Application closes: 25/11/2022
Role: Deputy Registrar
Salary Range: $43,989 – $56,136
Unit/ Division: Family Court Division, Labasa
- Reports to: Registrar, Suva with consultation with the Deputy Registrar Legal (Labasa)
- Liaises with: Judicial Officers and Court Support Staff
- Subordinates: Nil
This position is Quasi-Judicial based in the Family Division of the High Court and Family Division of the Magistrate’s Court in Labasa. The appointee may also serve on the other centres of the court’s jurisdiction.
- Presiding and conciliating over preliminary Family Law Matters pertaining to distribution of matrimonial property, urgent application, resident and contact application for children;
- Giving directives and facilitating in the smooth, effective and efficient method in disposing of family cases;
- Accepting or refusal of documents for filing;
- Ensuring that a proper filing system is in place within the registry;
- Facilitating and provide room for conciliation of parties;
- Drafting of Terms of Settlement/Agreement;
- Ensure that a Master lists are prepared and the cases are called before the correct presiding officer;
- Citing and correction of the conditional and final Dissolution of Marriage papers before signing and sealing;
- Ensuring that Dissolution of Marriage papers are sent to the Registrar General’s office for registration;
- Checking and signing of High Court Orders (Civil Matters) on a relieving basis, in the absence and directive of the Deputy Registrar/Legal.
An essential University Qualification (s) in Law and Professional Diploma in Legal Practice [PDLP]/Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice [GDLP] and Admitted to the Bar.
Knowledge and Experience
- Sound knowledge of Family Law Act and matters including, but not limited to, the dissolution of marriage, child and spousal maintenance, property disputes and issues relating to children;
- Practical, working Knowledge of court operations, procedures and processes, policies and protocols;
- Understanding of Fiji Constitution and applicable Laws of Fiji; Acts and policies;
- Law graduate with ten  years of work experience in any organization and with administrative experience.
- Must have the experience in conciliation work and be a Legal Practitioner;
- Demonstrated intellectual capacity, drive and determination.
Skills and Abilities
The applicant should have demonstrated the following skills and abilities:
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Demonstrated skills to conciliate on matrimonial property proceedings and its distribution
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi- disciplinary environment, a willingness to undertake personal professional training and have the personality suited to deal with Family Court matters;
- Demonstrated ability to make appropriate orders or directions in relation to the conduct of the proceedings;
- Proven ability to effectively organise workload and work as part of a team;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the position must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 25th November 2022 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND THE JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE ANY APPOINTMENT.