Vacancy No. 123/22 Secretary, Family Court Suva – 1 Post
Application number: 123/22
Application closes: 25/11/2022
Level: SS 04
Salary range: $22,114 – $27,546
Unit/Division: Family Court
- Reports to: Senior Court Officer I
- Liaises with: Judicial Officer, Court Support Staff
- Subordinates: Nil
The position is responsible to the Resident Magistrate(s) for general secretarial duties. Assisting with the preparations and facilitations of documentation and travelling arrangement: accommodation bookings and per diem on meeting to venues locally in areas away from the office or overseas meeting; maintaining a work office environment and see to that the office supplies in terms of stationeries and equipment are properly maintained.
- Maintaining daily schedules and diaries for the Resident Magistrate(s);
- Typing court proceedings, judgements, urgent court orders and other correspondences, answering telephone, filing and arranging meetings;
- Court Transcribing;
- Preparation of copy record for appeal purpose;
- Organising chamber matters with respective Court Registries and Staff;
- Maintaining a database and register of files for writing decisions by the Resident Magistrate(s) and keeping proper record of file movement;
- Liaising with Accounts Division for financial requirements of the Resident Magistrate(s);
- Maintaining the cleanliness of the office, chamber and bench;
- Ensure that office tools are properly used and maintained;
- Ensure that the Audio Recordings are uploaded to the server correctly on daily basis;
- Assist in any other duties as and when assigned by the superiors.
A Diploma in Secretarial Studies/Office Administration or equivalent from a recognized institution with 60wpm typing speed on manual typewriter or 70wpm typing on electronic/electric typewriter with 3 years’ work experience OR a Certificate in Secretarial Studies/Office Administration or equivalent with 5 years’ work experience. Shorthand skill is added advantage. The following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are also required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
- Practical and working knowledge of word processing and filing system;
- Understanding of the Fijian Constitution and applicable laws of Fiji, Acts, Policies, Rules and Regulations;
- At least 3-5years experience in Secretarial work environment;
- Reasonable understanding of Legal terminology used, for transcribing purposes.
Skills and Abilities
The applicant should have demonstrated the following skills and abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to utilize advanced computer programs;
- Ability to follow directives and maintain high standards of professionalism;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict adherence to confidentiality in respect of matters handled by supervising Judicial Officer(s) and any other information obtained in the course of duty.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the position must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 25th November 2022 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND THE JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE ANY APPOINTMENT.