Vacancy No. 54/23 Deputy Registrar [Legal] – Labasa – 1 Post
Application number: 54/23
Application closes: 16/06/2023
Position: Deputy Registrar [Legal]
Level: LG 04
Salary range: $43,989 – $56,136
Unit/Division: Northern Division
- Reports to: Chief Registrar
- Liaises with: Judicial Officers, Court Support Staff
- Subordinates: Senior Court Officers, Court Officers, Assistant Court
Officers, Clerical Officers & GWEs
The position is a quasi – Judicial Officer and it exists to provide legal support to the Chief Registrar. Ensuring smooth running of all Courts in the Northern Division.
- Improve efficiency, effectiveness and productivity in the Division through formulation and implementation of key strategic and operational plans;
- Plan, coordinate and monitor all finance, physical and human resource management functions, personal administration, disciplinary actions, industrial relations, occupational health and safety at work and staff development;
- Provide effective leadership and ensure prompt implementation of management plans for the delivery of administration/ personnel/ financial functions of the divisions;
- Developing policies and proving policy advice, collating monthly administration and training reports;
- Updating the Office of the Chief Registrar on day to day performance of administration and Courts for the Northern Division;
- Overall supervision of the High Court, Magistrates Court, Family Court and the Small Claims Tribunal in the Northern Division;
- Responsible for all support staff and service allocated to the registries, movement of case files, timely preparation of court records and statistics on all cases, administer court sittings, supervise sheriff Officers for execution of Court records/ FIFA and liaise with stakeholders on the matters of the Court;
- Ensuring the documents are filed and processed in accordance with Rules and Regulations of the High Court Rules;
- Undertaking other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Chief Registrar.
In addition to the University Qualification(s) in Law and Professional Diploma in Legal Practice [PDLP]/Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice [GDLP], admitted to the Bar with at least 2 years work experience. The following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the Fijian Constitution and applicable laws of Fiji;
- Knowledge and understanding of court operations, procedures and processes; Department Policies, Rules and internal Directives;
- At least 2 years of work experience in at senior legal officer level;
- Experience of supporting the Head of the Department on Legal, Administrative and Policy issues.
Skills and Abilities
The applicant should have demonstrated the following skills and abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to render accurate and timely legal opinions and advice;
- Demonstrated ability to draft disciplinary charges and maintain confidentiality at all times;
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; and have demonstrated intellectual capacity, drive and determination;
- Ability to manage, motivate and supervise staff and resources, And to work cooperatively within a team environment.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 60, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the position must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 16th June 2023 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED AND ONLY SHORTLISTED APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED AND THE JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO MAKE ANY APPOINTMENT.