Vacancy No. 77/22 Court Officer, High Court, Lautoka – 1 Post
Application number: 77/22
Application closes: 19/08/2022
Position: Court Officer
Level: JD 04
Salary range: $22,114 – $27,546
Unit/Division: High Court
- Reports to: Senior Court Officer I, High Court, Lautoka
- Liaises with: High Court Staff, Court Support Staff, Judicial Officers
- Subordinates: Assistant Court Officers (High Court, Lautoka), GWEs
(Messenger- High Court, Lautoka)
This position is responsible to the Senior Court Officer to implement and supervise all the Legal Procedure Functions for the High Court, ensuring their compliance with the legislative requirements of Acts, Rules and Regulations relating to the functions of the High Court system.
- Being responsible for all support staff and services allocated to the above registries;
- Maintaining a database and register for movement of case files;
- Timely preparation of court records and statistics on all cases;
- Administering and finalize court Cause Lists;
- Supervising Sheriffs’ Officers for execution of Court Warrant;
- Liaising with stakeholders on matters of the Courts;
- Assisting management in training of staff on the job and other administrative matters for the overall development of the department;
- Preparing, compiling and the submission of statistics, for the various registries under jurisdictional provision;
- Assisting in policy making through recommendations on staffing, training matters, systems improvement and budgeting;
- The preparation of monthly and quarterly reports;
- Conducting assessment, submission of recommendations and reports on the performance of temporary Relieving Officers, contract officers and acting appointments of officers under the jurisdictions;
- Facilitating requests and provides assistance to the Judicial Officers in respective Division;
- Assist in any other duties as and when assigned by the superiors.
The applicant must have passed Form Seventh Examination or Form Six with at least five  years work experience in interpretation role OR a relevant Diploma/Degree or equivalent from a recognised institution with at least five  years work experience in interpretation role. A pass in Departmental Examinations X1 & X2 and Service Examination H1, H2 or H are added advantages. The following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are also required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
- Practical, working knowledge of court procedures and processes and all aspects and functions of the Court System;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of legislative requirements of the Constitutions, Acts, Regulations, Policies, Practice Directions, Rules and Procedures;
- Understanding of the Fijian Constitution and applicable laws of Fiji;
- Well versed with Filing and Records Management;
- Must have at least 5 years work experience in interpretation role.
Skills and Abilities
The applicant should have demonstrated the following skills and abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills together with good public relations and customer service skills;
- Planning, time management and good organization skills;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively provide interpretation services in an open court;
- Ability to write reports, submission and maintaining the confidentiality of information;
- Demonstrated ability to organize workload, supervise staff and work cooperatively within a team environment;
- Ability to follow instructions and meet set deadlines in regards to Court registry activities;
- Capacity to utilize computer programs to support the operation of the Registry.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the positions must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 19th August 2022 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.