Vacancy No. 79/22 Senior Secretary, High Court, Lautoka – 1 Post
Application number: 79/22
Application closes: 19/08/2022
Position: Senior Secretary
Level: SS 03
Salary range: $27,546 – $33,956
Unit/Division: High Court
- Reports to: Senior Court Officer I & Senior Court Officer II
- Liaises with: Judicial Officer, Head of High Court Reporting Unit, Court
- Subordinates: Nil
The primary purpose of this position is to provide high level secretarial, administrative and transcribing assistance to the Puisne Judge, Registry head and the Head of the High Court Reporting Unit.
- Responsible to the Puisne Judge for typing judgements, rulings, decisions, summing up, sentence, order of the Court and other correspondence;
- Emailing delivered summing up, judgement, sentence, ruling to senior secretary in charge for onward transmission to PACLII and the media;
- Making phone calls for Judge in terms of acceptance and regrets to invitations or other calls as requested by the Judge;
- Organise appointments, meetings and conferences which may include collating meeting papers, co-ordinating venues and arranging travel itineraries;
- Maintaining daily schedules and diaries for the Honourable Judge;
- Co-ordinate travel and accommodate arrangements with Accounts Division for the Honourable Judge;
- Maintaining a database and register of files for writing decisions by the Honourable Judge;
- Transcribing of Court proceedings and Judge’s Notes;
- Preparation of refreshment for all Judges in the common room as allocated;
- Any other duties assigned by the Judge or Supervisor.
A Diploma in Secretarial Studies/Office Administration or equivalent from a recognized institution with 60wpm typing speed on manual typewriter or 70wpm typing on electronic/electric typewriter and with 5 years’ work experience OR a Certificate in Secretarial Studies/Office Administration with 7 years’ work experience in Secretarial field together with the following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
- Good working knowledge and understanding of office protocols, word processing, legal procedures, court etiquette and filing system;
- Understanding of the Fijian Constitution and applicable laws of Fiji, Policies and Directives;
- At least 5-7 years work experience in Secretarial work environment;
- Experience in typing and transcribing of court proceedings/judgements would be an added advantageous.
Skills and Abilities
The applicant should have demonstrated the following skills and abilities:
- Excellent typing and listening skills and a proven ability to perform efficient transcribing duties;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- Ability to follow instructions and meet set deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of information and neutrality in a sensitive work environment.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the positions must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 19th August 2022 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.