Vacancy No. 82/22 Court Officer, Small Claims Tribunal, Labasa – 1 Post
Application number: 82/22
Application closes: 19/08/2022
Position: Court Officer
Level: JD 04
Salary range: $22,114 – $27,546
Unit/Division: Small Claims Tribunal
- Reports to: Senior Court Officer II
- Liaises with: Court Support Staff, Small Claims Tribunal Referees
- Subordinates: Assistant Court Officers (Small Claims Tribunal, Labasa)
This position is responsible to the Senior Court Officer to implement and supervise all the Legal Procedure Functions currently in force to Small Claims Tribunal and other delegated functions of the department.
- Being responsible for all support staff and services allocated to the above registries;
- Providing administrative assistance to the Referees for the administration of Justice;
- Ensuring that documents filed for any application purposes are in accordance with the Small Claims Tribunal Act 1991, Rules and Regulations for Tribunal Proceedings;
- Vetting of claims before they are issued;
- Ensuring timely preparation of daily cause list;
- Ensuring timely preparation of appeal records;
- Preparing, compiling and the submission of monthly Statistics;
- The preparation of monthly and quarterly reports;
- Checking and certifying all payment vouchers;
- Attending to customer queries;
- Ensuring that delivered decisions/ orders is disseminated to parties within the allocated time;
- Assisting management in training of staff on the job and other administrative matters for the overall development of the department;
- Conducting assessment, submission of recommendations and reports on the performance of temporary Relieving Officers, contract officers and acting appointments of officers under the jurisdictions;
- Ensuring time management policy is implemented;
- Ensuring that all Tribunal sessions recordings are maintained and backup created;
- Ensuring case data management is updated and maintained;
- Checking and verifying Cause book, Master diary, file jackets in accordance with the daily worksheet after Tribunal hearings daily;
- Assist in any other duties as and when assigned by the superiors.
The applicant must have passed Form Seventh Examination or Form Six with at least five  years work experience in interpretation role OR a relevant Diploma/Degree or equivalent from a recognised institution with at least five  years work experience in interpretation role. A pass in Departmental Examinations X1 & X2 and Service Examination H1, H2 or H are added advantages. The following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are also required to successfully undertake this role:
Knowledge and Experience
|1. Practical, working knowledge of Court procedures and processes and all aspects and functions of the Court System;
2. Sound knowledge and understanding of legislative requirements of the Fijian Constitutions, Acts, Regulations, Policies, Rules and Procedures;
3. Well versed with filing and records management;
4. Knowledge and experience in compiling reports and making appropriate submission;
- Must have at least 5 years work experience in interpretation role.
Skills and Abilities
The applicant should have demonstrated the following skills and abilities:
- Strong written and oral communication skills together with good public relations and customer service skills;
- Planning, time management and organization skills;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively provide interpretation services in an open Court;
- Ability to write reports, submissions and maintaining the confidentiality of information;
- Demonstrated ability to organize workload, supervise staff and work cooperatively within a team environment;
- Ability to follow instructions and meet set deadlines in regards to activities in the Court Registry;
- Capacity to utilize computer programs to support the operations of the registry.
Personal Character and Eligibility
Applicants for employment in the Judicial Department must be Fijian Citizens, under Age 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The selected applicant will be required to provide a medical report and police clearance prior to taking up duty.
The Judicial Department is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants.
To apply for this role please provide an up-to-date resume with a photograph, copies of Academic Certificates & Transcripts, at least two referees, with one being a current or recent supervisor, a filled JD Form 01 which is available on website www.judiciary.gov.fj or from any Court Registry Fiji wide or HR Office in Suva. Applications that do not meet the selection criteria will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you are not contacted by the Judicial Department, your application has not been successful and we thank you for your interest in applying.
Applications for the positions must be received by 4.00pm on Friday 19th August 2022 and addressed to:
Applications by Post:
The Acting Chief Registrar
Level 3, Kelton House
LATE, UNSIGNED OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.